- Berne University of Teacher Education
- Department of Education and Learning SUPSI
- FHNW School of Education
- St.Gallen University of Teacher Education
- Schwyz University of Teacher Education
- Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training
- Swiss Federal Institute of Sport Magglingen SFISM
- Teacher Training University Schaffhausen
- Thurgau University of Teacher Education
- University of Applied Sciences of Special Needs Education
- University of Fribourg, Institute of Teacher Education
- University of Geneva, Institute of Teacher Education
- University of Teacher Education Fribourg
- University of Teacher Education HEP-BEJUNE
- University of Teacher Education in the Canton of Valais
- University of Teacher Education Lucerne
- University of Teacher Education of Grisons
- University of Teacher Education Zug
- University of Teacher Education, State of Vaud
- Zurich University of Teacher Education
Switzerland is proud of its outstanding education system. Primary, lower secondary and upper secondary level schools with expertly trained and highly motivated teachers are the backbone of their school system. These teachers are educated and trained in one of 20 universities of teacher education.
The variety of the 20 universities of teacher education (UTEs) in Switzerland is broad: some are small with a very personal atmosphere, while others are larger institutions. The 20 institutions are located in the German-, French-, Italian- and Romansh-speaking parts of the country. All are involved in research, education, continuing education and training; they offer additional services such as coaching, consulting and evaluation for the school-teaching field.
The linking of theoretical and methodological knowledge with practical experience and reflection ensures students are thoroughly prepared for the challenges of the teaching profession. Interdisciplinary approaches enable the students to acquire the skills they need for teaching.
WHICH PROGRAMMES ARE OFFERED?
Universities of teacher education offer programmes in teaching for pre-primary level, primary level, secondary level I, secondary level II (including general education and vocational education and training) and other programmes such as special needs education. Classes are mostly given in one of the four official languages of Switzerland; however, some UTEs offer classes in English. Several UTEs even offer special classes for international students.