The Department of Physics started its activities in1977, by offering degrees in Bachelor of Science (BSc) in physics and degree of Master of Science (MSc) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Condensed Matter Physics, Nuclear Physics, and High Energy Physics.
With 26 affiliated faculty members and about 220 graduate students, including (masters and PhD students), and 213 undergraduates, presently the Physics Department has a lively intellectual environment in 2016.
The research interests of the department are mainly focused on the following fields:
- Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
- Complex Systems
- Computational Materials Science
- Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
- High Energy Physics
- Gravity and Cosmology
- Nuclear Physics
Since 2003, IUT Department of Physics has been acting as an affiliated Center of Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP).
Scientific Societies and Activities at the Department of Physics
- The Society of Physics Students at the Isfahan University of Technology
- The Society of Astronomy at the Isfahan University of Technology
- Tabesh Magazine
- The Society of Physics Students and the Society of Astronomy are professional separate associations whose main members are officially elected annually by the students of the department. Among the basic activities of these associations are:
- Arrangement of scientific visits, scientific meetings and invited talks, scientific research unions.
- Preparation of scientific news and reports.
- Arrangement of scientific competitions and student national physics Olympiads,
- Arrangement of physics (introduction) day, and etc.
Undergraduate students must take 135 Credits as follows:
- 20 credits from General Courses.
- 33 credits of Basic courses (Mathematics, Basic Physics, Chemistry and Computer Sciences).
- 71 credits as Main physics courses (Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism 1 & 2, Modern Physics, Thermodynamics, Statistical Mechanics, Mathematical Physics 1& 2, Quantum Mechanics 1 & 2, Optics, Solid State Physics, Nuclear Physics , Special Relativity, Computational Physics, Elementary Particle Physics, Reactor Physics, Electronics, Particle Accelerators, Superconductivity, Crystallography, Semiconducting Devices, Radiation Detectors, ...)
- Optional Courses (11 Credits)
Physics students may take 11 credits in other fields of physics or may take them at other departments. You can download undergraduate courses curriculum from here and undergraduate courses description from here.
In M.Sc. program, every student will take 30 credits as follows:
- 13 credits as compulsory courses (Electrodynamics, Advanced Quantum Mechanics I & II, Advanced Statistical Mechanics I)
- 9 credits as specialized courses (Advanced Solid state Physics I & II , Special topics in condensed matter physics, Advanced Nuclear Physics I & II , Special topics in nuclear physics, Advanced Particle Physics I & II and Special topics in particle physics)
- Physics Seminar (2 Credits)
- M.Sc. Thesis (6 Credits)
The Ph.D. Program has already started in the academic year 1998. Every Ph.D. student will take 15 credits: Advanced Solid State Physics, Many Body Theory, Advanced Statistical Mechanics, Critical Phenomena, Advanced Condensed Matter Physics, Density Functional theory, Magnetic properties of materials,Advanced Nuclear Physics,Quantum Filed Theory 1 and 2, Advanced Elementary Particle Physics,…,1 credit as Ph.D Seminar and 20 credits as Ph.D Thesis. You can download the graduate courses curriculum from here and the graduate courses description from here.
Department of Physics, Isfahan University of Technology (IUT).
Tel: +98-31- 33912375, Fax: +98-31-33912376